Wednesday, April 29, 2015

His Grace and Beautiful Creation---Dad's Post



Glad I knew to 'strap in' before this day started. 

You know it's gonna be a great day when your eyes POP open at 3am and you just fight for rest.  I'm sure I will get used to this side of the world in the next week or so......  right about the time I'm flying home.

We had an enjoyable breakfast at the hotel this morning and then decided to take a walk.  We told Jing Mei that we would purchase a couple of gifts for her to bring for our trip to Shaoxing.  So many thoughts have flooded my mind about the visit.  I think my initial thoughts were to take the easiest path for myself, just quickly leave and make it back to my home, my comfort zone, my place of peace and rest (Sure I can rest with 8 kids!!, Let me dream!!).  When I place my thoughts on Jing Mei and listen to those that have traveled this road before us, they all seem to discuss how emotional and hard the orphanage visit was BUT also how important it was to their child.  So, we will make that trip tomorrow - PLEASE pray for Jing Mei, that she would have peace during this time and would see comfort in her new family and resist those urges to stay in familiarity.

Back to today.....

I quickly realized that the shopping areas near the hotel, well they aren't what I'm used to.  Burberry, Dolce & Gabana, Gucci, Tiffany, Louis Vuitton, etc etc etc




So we kept walking until we came across a super market type of place.  Jing Mei found a candle and holder for a teacher/worker that she has grown close to while living in the orphanage for the last 14 years.  Chloe went for a bag of chips and quickly realized that she would wait until later to eat as she had lost her appetite.
 We met our guide and driver back at the hotel and things took a step back.  Jing Mei quickly left us to be with them.  I understand communication is MUCH easier with them but it still brought me down as she didn't want to acknowledge me for the next few hours.  We went to West Lake which is very popular for tourism and I have to say..... God did a wonderful job, absolutely beautiful!  I hope you can see at least a portion of how gorgeous it was in the following pictures.

I've seen His grace in the way that he could actually love this wretch that I am and so much so that He gave his life for my sins.  
I also have to say, He truly blessed me and showered me with grace by allowing me to marry UP (Okay, WAY UP).



For the record though........  Even the selfie stick girls weren't smiling!  Maybe just a cultural thing....(fun fact: Did you know that the selfie stick was actually invented in the 80s?  Okay, not fun but still a fact)       

And someone PLEASE tell me when Chloe got so grown....... I don't remember allowing that!!  She makes me a proud father every day - You are beautiful Chloe!!

And Chloe has such a fun personality, we really appreciated having her on this trip to bring smiles into some pretty scary and sad places...... (Like West Lake & Pizza Hut where we were 'sharing good time' just like the wall told us to)
 As I started writing the blog Jing Mei walked in with tears in her eyes and the translator in her hand.  She handed it to me and the translation wasn't perfect but basically stated "Dad,  I really don't think I am ready for the expectations of the USA.  I am worried that I will be wrong and my friend won't be okay"
I pulled a seat next to mine and began to quickly type messages into the device.  I kept each short so that it did not get lost in translation.   'There is NO expection'  'your mom and I think you are so brave'  'so many changes' 'We love you'  'You are my daughter'  'God created you for this family'  ......   I told her how Wade wanted us to let her know that he was scared and angry when he was adopted and now he is very happy.  I pulled up our blog from over 3 years ago and showed her a few of the pictures of Wade and confirmed that she understood.  I hugged her although it was short.... The tears slowly began to stop and I asked if there was anything I could do for her.  She stated no and got up and walked into the other room.  Chloe was waiting quietly as she sensed the tense emotion and exchange.  She got an update from me and then went to Jing Mei who nodded that she was okay and gave a small smile....... small but powerful.
Natalie was so exhausted that she crashed shortly after our dinner and was quick to ensure that Jing Mei was okay.  When she entered, it was great to see that Jing Mei was doing english/mandarin lessons on the iPad.  She showed us one of the steps and we jumped for joy as she responded correctly.  Such encouragement to see her not only come out of the fear BUT to come on with courage and a desire to work on this barrier.  This barrier may slow our communication but it will not slow our love for her and our God's love for His children that He has called us to care for.

So you may have asked 'what friend was Jing Mei speaking of'?  Well as we rode to West Lake she asked if we would adopt more children from her orphanage.  She then told us of her friend... She is 10 years old and has been at the orphanage since she was 1 month old.  With Jing Mei being there since she was a baby, this has to be a very strong bond and friendship.  We told her that we were definitely open to another adoption and that we have friends that are also looking at adoption......   She said "Are they close to Tennessee where I will live?".   Oh if I could have placed everyone in that car as we responded yes and her eyes lit up with joy and she placed her perfect hands together and shook them with excitement.  We are going to the orphanage tomorrow and we will meet her friends (one is 17 and no longer able to be adopted).  I know that this girl WILL have a family to love her...... to be able to come to during a fearful moment and say 'Dad, I don't know if I will live up to the expectation of a family'.   There is no ending where I don't think she deserves this!

I can't help but remember when I thought 'Dad, I don't think I can live up to the expectation.'   and He told me that His grace and unfailing love doesn't have strings attached...... Oh what a freeing and humbling moment!

Please pray for us... for Jing Mei that she would make it through tomorrow with peace and comfort..... for the other children there including her friend, that while I'm typing these words that God has already confirmed their families and they are making their way - whether they are at the first point of accepting that 'call', clawing through the paperwork or whatever point they may be at...... just pray that they will make it to their son and daughter.

Your friend and brother,
Don

1 comment:

  1. We are praying! Love you guys and can't wait to meet Jing Mei!

    ReplyDelete